One of the count charges of terrorism preferred against the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu by the Federal Government maybe the sit-at-home order issued and canceled by the new leadership of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB in protest for the unconditional release of the rearrested Biafra agitation leader in Kenya mid year 2021.
A signed amended count charges document made available by the lead Defense Lawyer to the detained Biafra leader, Barrister Ifeanyi Ejiofor indicated that Nnamdi Kanu issued a broadcast that threatened banks and other businesses in the Southeastern states of Nigeria to close and refused to open for business operations on a date the new count charge did not specify.
Count two of the newly amended count charges of terrorism reads thus:
“That you Nnamdi Kanu, Male, Adult, of Afaranukwu lbeku, Umuahla North Local Government Area of Abia State sometimes in 2021 did commit an act in furtherance of an act of Terrorism against the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the People of Nigeria made a broadcast received and heard in Nigeria within the Jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, with intent to intimidate the population, you issued a deadly threat that anyone who flouted your sit-at-home order should “write his/her Will’ as a result, Banks, Schools, Markets, Shopping-Malls, Fuel Stations domiciled in the Eastern States of Nigeria were not opened for businesses, citizens and vehicular movements in the Eastern
States of Nigeria were grounded within the Jurisdiction of this Honourable Court and you thereby committed an offence punishable under Section 1(2)06) of the Terrorism Prevention Amendment Act, 2013″
It would be recalled that Nnamdi Kanu was presented before the public on June 28, 2021 after being rearrested by Federal Government on earlier date towards the last week of June 2021.
Information gathered that Nnamdi Kanu had been under the custody of those who allegedly Kidnapped or rearrested him in Kenya since the last week of May, 2021.
May 30th, every year is usually a day set aside by the Igbo people as Biafra National Day whereby shops, Banks, Markets and other businesses do not open for operation for fear of being attacked by angry youths who may not need anybody’s control or order to enforce the agreed Biafra decision that have been reoccurring for the past 8 to 10 years before Nnamdi Kanu led Biafra movement started.
But May 30th, 2021 being Sunday, a Holy day, the Southeast states predominantly Christians set aside for worship or attend Church, the annual sit-at-home formerly referred to as stay indoor was moved to Monday 31st, May 2021.
There was high level compliance by residents in the Southeastern states of Nigeria.
Nnamdi Kanu who was earlier facing treasonable felony charges and granted bail by Federal High Court fled the country when group of Nigeria Soldiers he suspected were coming to kill him invaded his family home at Afaranukwu Ibeku in Abia State on a date in September 2017.
Continuous sit-at-home order became observed in the Southeast states of Nigeria every Monday starting August 9, 2021 as a protest after the Federal Government of Nigeria failed to bring Nnamdi Kanu to Court in the previous Monday court sitting.
IPOB issued the order in protest to free Nnamdi Kanu who was already in the custody of Department of State Services, DSS as at late June, 2021.
- COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil FuelLarge numbers of people at COP28 in Dubai on Saturday, protested and chanted for an end to fossil fuels and … Read More “COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil Fuel” »
- We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC BossBy Press Unit Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, has vowed to tackle … Read More “We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC Boss” »
- Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our TimesIsraeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has maintained strong stance that the elimination of the Palestinian fighters, Hamas is a must … Read More “Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our Times” »
- I Never Said 7 Out Of 10 Nigerian Students Are ‘Criminals’ – EFCC BossBy Dele Oyewale Attention of the Economic and Financial Crimes, EFCC, has been drawn to some needless misrepresentation of the … Read More “I Never Said 7 Out Of 10 Nigerian Students Are ‘Criminals’ – EFCC Boss” »
- NDLEA, Gunmen In Gun Battle In EdoBy Femi Babafemi Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have repelled rain of bullets from armed hoodlums … Read More “NDLEA, Gunmen In Gun Battle In Edo” »