Bandits:Heavy Gun Fire Crash Land Military War Plane In Zamfara, See How Pilot Escaped From The Terrorists
On 18 July 2021, at about 12.45 pm, a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Alpha Jet aircraft, returning from a successful air interdiction mission between the boundaries of Zamfara and Kaduna State, came under intense enemy fire which led to its crash in Zamfara State.
Luckily, the gallant pilot of the aircraft, Flight Lieutenant Abayomi Dairo, successfully ejected from the aircraft.
Using his survival instincts, the pilot, who came under intense ground fire from the bandits, was able to evade them and sought refuge in nearby settlements awaiting sunset.
Using the cover of darkness and his phone set for navigation, Flight Lieutenant Dairo was able to elude several bandits’ strongholds and maneuvered his way to a Nigerian Army Unit, where he was finally rescued.
It is instructive to note that upon receipt of the news of the crash, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Oladayo Amao, had directed that all efforts must be emplaced to rescue the pilot.
Accordingly, NAF Intelligence Surveillance Reconnaissance (I.S.R) platforms and helicopter gunships provided close air support to NAF Special Forces and Nigerian Army troops who were able to locate the crash site and the pilot’s parachute, while also combing nearby locations for any sign of the pilot.
It is gladdening to note that while in hiding, Flight Lieutenant Dairo confirmed that the presence of NAF aircraft within the vicinity of the crash site helped in scaring the bandits who were after him, thus enabling him to find refuge and escape to a safe location.
It is important to also recall that only recently, the President, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari, G.C.F.R, had directed the Armed Forces of Nigeria to do all it takes to flush out criminal elements in Katsina, Zamfara and Kaduna States.
It is in fulfilment of this directive that the NAF, in conjunction with surface forces, has in the last 2 weeks mounted intensive day and night air interdiction operations against bandits and their hideouts, especially in these 3 states.
Through these intensive air operations, hundreds of bandits have been neutralized and several of their hideouts destroyed.
Despite the setback of yesterday’s crash, the NAF remains committed towards fulfilling Mr President’s mandate as well as other constitutional roles assigned to it.
The willingness, readiness and tested ability of the NAF remains unshaken and unwavering as it continues to carry out its assigned roles.
@views exclusive rights: Edward Gabkwet, Air Commodore, Director of Public Relations and Information,
Nigerian Air Force, 19 July 2021.
- Death Toll Rises More Than 288 In Indian Train Multiple CollisionMore than 288 people have been killed and 1000 others injured in the late Friday evening multiple train accident in … Read More “Death Toll Rises More Than 288 In Indian Train Multiple Collision” »
- We Shot Down 15 Russia Cruise Missiles, 21 Drones In Overnight Kyiv Attack – UkraineUkrainian Air Force has said that the military shot down 15 cruise missiles and 21 Drones, Russia fired into the … Read More “We Shot Down 15 Russia Cruise Missiles, 21 Drones In Overnight Kyiv Attack – Ukraine” »
- Scores Killed As 2 Trains Collide In IndiaMore than 50 persons have been killed and 500 others injured as two passenger trains collided on Friday in the … Read More “Scores Killed As 2 Trains Collide In India” »
- Unknown Sympathizers Launch Multiple Attacks In Russia, Kill 2Russian Ministry of Defence has confirmed the multiple attacks launched by unknown Sympathizers which led to the killing of two … Read More “Unknown Sympathizers Launch Multiple Attacks In Russia, Kill 2” »
- Tinubu Appoints Reps Speaker, Gbajabiamila As Chief Of StaffPresident Bola Ahmed Tinubu of Nigeria has appointed the Speaker, House of Representatives in the National Assembly, Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila … Read More “Tinubu Appoints Reps Speaker, Gbajabiamila As Chief Of Staff” »