The attention of the Edo State Government has been drawn to the widely publicized media statement issued by the Palace of His Royal Majesty, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare II.
It is concerning that the statement appears to have created the impression that there is a major conflict between the interests of the Edo State Government and His Royal Majesty with regards to the laudable national milestone of having our highly valued artefacts returned home to Nigeria.
The Government of Edo State and the Governor have always acted transparently and in consonance with existing Federal and State laws in all matters relating to the proposed return of the artefacts and monuments.
The actions of the government thus far on this issue have been driven by selfless, patriotic considerations and in the best interest of Edo State and Edo people.
The Governor of Edo State, His Excellency, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has displayed and will continue to display immense respect for our traditional institutions and therefore will continue to make effort to secure a private audience with His Royal Majesty to discuss his concerns.
The Governor has consequently ordered that on no account should anyone, whether in government or acting independently, engage in disrespectful exchanges and/or altercation with our revered Royal Majesty and the Benin Royal Palace.
Governor Obaseki, meanwhile, expresses his gratitude to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari (G.C.F.R) and Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed and other officials of the federal government for their patriotic and tireless efforts that have brought us to the verge of this eagerly anticipated achievement which has remained elusive for over a century.
While thanking and congratulating the Federal Government, the President, the Minister, the Royal Palace of the Oba of Benin and all stakeholders who have contributed to the successes so far recorded in this endeavor, the Governor assures that he will continue to work assiduously with all local and international stakeholders for the eventual and final return of these valued records of our great and glorious heritage back to Benin City for the benefit of ALL Edo people, Nigerians and the black race.
@views exclusive rights: Osarodion Ogie, Secretary for Edo State Government led by Governor Godwin Obaseki, July 12, 2021.
- Mohbad Brought In Dead After Nurse Gave Him Injections At Home – Perez HospitalAuthority of Perez Medcare Hospital in Lagos State has issued a press statement stating that the Nigerian upcoming artiste, Ilerioluwa … Read more
- Troops Discover Gun Manufacturing Factory In KadunaMen of the Nigerian Army has discovered a factory where guns are being manufactured in Kaduna State. The Nigerian Army … Read more
- BRA Claims Responsibility For 8 Soldiers, Other Operatives Killed In ImoFirst time since secessionist gun battle began in the southeastern states of Nigeria in 2021, a group who identified themselves … Read more
- Mohbad’s Spirit Is Strong, I Find It Hard To Sleep – DavidoNigeria born international music star, David Adeleke well known as Davido has said he can’t sleep easily since the death … Read more
- Whenever A President Or Governor Is Present, Royal Father Must Stand Up To Honour Authority – ObasanjoFormer Nigeria President, Olusegun Obasanjo is no doubt currently trending on social media over a video of him posted online … Read more