Federal Government has extended the deadline for the verification of Subscriber Identity Module, SIM with individual National Identification Number, NIN to March 31st, 2022.
Nigerian Communications Commission in a press release issued few minutes ago and jointly signed by Ike Adinde, Director, Public Affairs, Nigerian Communications Commission and Kayode Adegoke, the Head of Corporate Communications, National Identity Management Commission said the NIN enrolments in the country have exceeded 71 million.
The statement reads thus:
The Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Professor Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami) FBCS, FNCS, FIIM, wishes to convey the approval of the Federal Government to further extend the deadline for the National Identification Number (NIN)-Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) data verification to the 31st of March, 2022.
The stakeholders have applauded the Federal Government on the significant growth in the number of NIN enrolments and the increased drive to enlighten Nigerians and legal residents across the country.
As of 30th December 2021, the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has issued over seventy-one million (71m) NINs with over fourteen thousand (14,000) enrolment centres set up across the country.
Furthermore, the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has also set up enrolment centres in over thirty-one (31) countries to cater for Nigerians in the Diaspora.
The unprecedented growth in the National Identity Database to over 71 million unique NINs in such a short period, with about 3 to 4 SIMs linked to a NIN, reflects the concerted effort of the Federal Government, the Nigerian populace and legal residents and this is truly commendable.
Following the request by stakeholders, including citizens, legal residents and Nigerians in the diaspora, the Federal Government has extended the deadline of the exercise to the 31st of March, 2022.
This extension would enable the Federal Government to consolidate the gains of the process and accelerate the enrolment of Nigerians in key areas like the remote areas, diaspora, schools, hospitals, worship centres, and the registration of legal residents.
The Honourable Minister has however implored Nigerians and legal residents to enrol for their NINs and link with their SIMs during this period of extension as more services will be requiring the NIN for identification.
He also reiterated the commitment of the Federal Government to support the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) in ensuring that the objectives of the exercise are achieved.
The Honourable Minister, the Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of NCC, Professor Umar Garba Danbatta, and the Director-General/CEO of NIMC, Aliyu A. Aziz, on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria, wish to thank all Nigerians and stakeholders for their commitment and support towards the success of the project.
They also applaud the efforts of the respective staff in ensuring a seamless NIN-SIM linkage and urge citizens and legal residents to complete the process of enrolment, verification, and SIM linkage on or before 31st March 2022.
- President Kim Jong-un In ‘Tears’, Begs Women To Have More ChildrenNorth Korea President, Kim Jong-un has burst into tears before a crowd of Korean mothers, begging the women to have … Read More “President Kim Jong-un In ‘Tears’, Begs Women To Have More Children” »
- Iran Court Fines US Govt $49.7b Over General Qassem Soleimani AssassinationIranian court in Tehran has ordered United States of America to pay the sum of $49.7 billion for the killing … Read More “Iran Court Fines US Govt $49.7b Over General Qassem Soleimani Assassination” »
- 14 Passengers Killed, 32 Injured As Bus Crash In ThailandNo fewer than 14 people have been killed in Thailand on Tuesday when a bus crashed into a tree in … Read More “14 Passengers Killed, 32 Injured As Bus Crash In Thailand” »
- Nigeria Police Arrests 4 Policemen For Kidnapping In RiversMen of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested four police operatives for kidnapping and demanding ransom from a hotel worker … Read More “Nigeria Police Arrests 4 Policemen For Kidnapping In Rivers” »
- Zelenskyy To Address US Congress Over Ukraine War Funding DebateUkrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyy has been invited to address members of the US Senate on Tuesday amid a push by … Read More “Zelenskyy To Address US Congress Over Ukraine War Funding Debate” »