Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu has banned farmers unions and other associations under the umbrella body of Ondo State United Artisan Group over alleged public exploitation and soaring costs and incessant increases in prices of goods and services.
Ondo State Government in a statement signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo said the decision was taken in the overall socio-economic interest of the people of the State.
OsazuwaAkonedo reports that Nigeria in general is currently experiencing a very high and constant soaring increases in the cost of foodstuffs.
President Muhammadu Buhari sacked the Minister of Agriculture, Mohammed Nanono few days ago for a reason that may not be unconnected with a very bad and high cost of living in the country.
President Muhammadu Buhari said he took the decision to sack the Minister along with another cabinet member after reviewing the report submitted by an external body contracted to assess the government performance wherein weak areas were discovered.
Governor Akeredolu said the Ondo State Government took measures to protect residents in the state amid soaring costs and incessant increases in prices of goods and services by artisans including farm produce and food items.
“In this regard, the state government has barred all Trading Unions and Associations under the umbrella of Ondo State United Artisan Group, from fixing and enforcing uniform prices of goods and services being sold/rendered by their members and non-members.
“Government had before now, watched with discomfort and dismay, the economic suffocation of the people with unimaginable increases in prices of goods and services in markets, shops and other sales outlets across the state.
“Even without due regard for market forces, it is obvious that associations and unions are largely behind this unwholesome act.
“The state government has decided to act decisively even as the public deserves protection from this undesirable exploitation under some guises.
“Therefore, fixing market prices and imposing fixed exorbitant prices on the people under the guise of association or union must be stopped forthwith.
“Accordingly, as part of the measures, Individuals, Artisans, Traders and providers of services as well as farmers are henceforth allowed to operate, sell their produce and render any service in any part of the state as they may deem profitable, based on the principle of demand and supply and prevailing market forces.
“This is just as membership of associations and unions remains voluntary as provided for in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended.
“Consequently, Government’s right to regulate the activities of Trading Associations and Artisan groups has to be invoked in the interest of residents. Therefore, on no account should any Union/Association fix or enforce prices of goods and services.
“Similarly, there shall be no sale of tickets to Artisans/Traders by any Association/Union without due approval of the state Government through the Internal Revenue Service”.
“All concerned are, therefore, advised to adhere strictly to this directive as any person or group found to be flouting it will be made to face the full weight of the extant laws.
“It is to be noted too that this directive takes effect from TODAY in all markets and sales outlets across the 18 Local Government Areas of the state”, Governor Akeredolu said in a statement.
- EFCC Alerts Public On ATM Card Swapping FraudBy Dele Oyewale The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has been inundated with barrage of complaints from well-meaning Nigerians … Read More “EFCC Alerts Public On ATM Card Swapping Fraud” »
- Cousin Seeks Help For Nollywood Actor Amaechi MuonagorA cousin of Nollywood actor, Amaechi Muonagor has appealed to the general public to help the artiste as the comic … Read More “Cousin Seeks Help For Nollywood Actor Amaechi Muonagor” »
- NDLEA Arrests Illicit Drugs Party Organisers In OsunBy Femi Babafemi Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA on Saturday 25th November raided a lounge in … Read More “NDLEA Arrests Illicit Drugs Party Organisers In Osun” »
- Sheila Denies Calling Israel DMW 2 Minutes ManSheila Courage David, the ex wife of Israel Afeare known as Israel DMW, Davido logistics manager, has denied a social … Read More “Sheila Denies Calling Israel DMW 2 Minutes Man” »
- My Wife Left Me Because She Said I’m A ‘Slave’ To Davido – Israel DMWNigerian music star, David Adeleke well known as Davido logistics Manager, Israel Afeare also known as Israel DMW has announced … Read More “My Wife Left Me Because She Said I’m A ‘Slave’ To Davido – Israel DMW” »