Unknown gunmen few hours ago invaded special police roadblock along Onitsha-Owerri road between Ihiala main town and Okija community in the Ihiala local government area of Anambra state killing one mobile police officer.
It was gathered the unknown gunmen attacked the special police roadblock around 1pm today, forcing both motorists and other road users to run for safety.
The special police roadblock, it was gathered is mounted by men of the Nigeria Police Force to protect the nearby Police Area Command, Divisional Headquarters and other few remaining police stations in the Ihiala local government area as unknown gunmen have sacked and taking over communities in the interior areas like Orsumoghu, Lilu and Isieke quarters of Awo Omamma community within the Ihiala-Orlu villages.
As at the time of filling in this report, motorists and other road users were still using alternative route of Eze-ago road through the main town of Okija to avoid Ihiala Police Divisional Headquarters and Azia Junction where the attack took place.
Some of the motorists said soldiers took over the area and blocked the Onitsha-Owerri road and asked both motorists and pedestrians to stay off the scene.
It is yet to be ascertained if the unknown gunmen were still in operation, forcing soldiers to chase people far away from the scene.
It would be recalled that over 21 persons travelling along Onitsha-Owerri road and petty traders who hawk water and other food items at the special Police roadblock in Ihiala were on last Sunday in November last year killed when a trailer truck descending the slopping road from Owerri allegedly failed brake and rammed into group of people and other vehicles at the police defence formation.
The police mounted the road block between the beginning of the Divisional Police Headquarters and nearby filling station.
After the accident that drew public attention and condemnation against the police roadblock, the security Operatives stayed off the road for some days.
Sources close to police said it was Government officials that directed and insisted that the police continued to mount the roadblock.
We learnt that police usually resumed the roadblock by 8 O’clock in the morning and closed by 5 in the evening. According to residents, they know the policemen only go there to collect money from motorists.
After the accident and pressure from the government officials, residents said the special policemen relocated from the slopping area of the Onitsha-Owerri road to mount the roadblock shortly after the police station and Azia Junction.
Azia Junction, according to information gathered in the locality is the exit and entry point for the Unknown Gunmen into their various camps within the local government.
- House Help Sentenced To Death For Killing 89-Year-Old Madam, DaughterLagos State High Court sitting in Ikeja Area has sentenced to death by hanging, a domestic staff, Joseph Ogbu, for … Read More “House Help Sentenced To Death For Killing 89-Year-Old Madam, Daughter” »
- Life Not That Bad In Nigeria – Reno OmokriBy Reno Omokri People died from a mass shooting in America 2 days ago. You don’t see Americans saying ‘America … Read More “Life Not That Bad In Nigeria – Reno Omokri” »
- Crude Oil Discovery In Nasarawa State Will Lead Nigeria To Greater Prosperity – BuhariBy Femi Adesina President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday declared that the discovery and drilling of oil in Nasarawa State will … Read More “Crude Oil Discovery In Nasarawa State Will Lead Nigeria To Greater Prosperity – Buhari” »
- Ramadan: Kano Bans ‘Keke’, Illegal Horse Riding, FireworksBy Abdullahi Kiyawa Kano State Police Command under the leadership of CP Mamman Dauda, congratulates the Muslim Umma for witnessing … Read More “Ramadan: Kano Bans ‘Keke’, Illegal Horse Riding, Fireworks” »
- Nnamdi Kanu: We Rescued Kamsi From Kidnappers – PoliceBy Daniel Ndukwe Police Operatives serving in Nsukka Area Command of Enugu State Police Command, acting on credible information and … Read More “Nnamdi Kanu: We Rescued Kamsi From Kidnappers – Police” »