Majority Of People In Government Are Bad, Nigeria May Remain Where It Is – Edo Deputy Governor Philip Shaibu
Edo State Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu has linked the spate of insecurity and banditry being witnessed in the country to refusal of politicians to speak the truth, urging them to be bold and speak truth to power irrespective of their political affiliations so as to make the nation better.
Shaibu gave the charge when he hosted the maiden edition of the Catholic Politicians and Captains of Industry Forum, at the Saint Paul’s Catholic Church Hall in Benin City at the weekend with the theme, “State of the Nigerian Nation; Catholic Politicians and Captains of Industry Forum Chats on Way Forward for the Common Good.”
According to him, “I can tell you that if whatever we do reflects our doctrines, we won’t have this insurgency that we are experiencing right now. If we tell ourselves the truth, we will not have all these crises that are self-inflicted; we are the cause.
“But I am happy that we now have a forum that we can use in telling ourselves the truth. For us, we will continue to speak the truth; there are good people in government, just that majority of them are bad, and the system is really bad too. Until we fix the system and stop talking, I can tell you that Nigeria will remain where it is.”
He continued: “We will continue to speak truth to power; we are also appealing to some of our people, if you want to decamp from your political parties, no problem, but speak truth to power. When things are bad, say it’s bad and find a way to provide a solution. Let us collectively continue to speak truth to power.
“If you are in a particular political party and things are not working well, speak to your head let him know that things are bad; be bold to speak the truth; if he refuses to take it, it doesn’t matter but speak the truth.”
Earlier in his opening remarks, the Chairman of Catholic Politicians and Captains of Industry Forum, Professor Pat Utomi, said, “If we all put on our thinking caps; if we look at intelligence, information and trends, then we can predict things that will go wrong, and we can intervene to work to prevent those things from going wrong. All the problems that we are experiencing in Nigeria today are predictable.
“Let’s also help to facilitate the building of institutions that will essentially socialize the young people into new sets of values that will make the society a better place for everybody.”
@views exclusive rights: Government House Press, Benin, September 19, 2021.
- Death Toll Rises More Than 288 In Indian Train Multiple CollisionMore than 288 people have been killed and 1000 others injured in the late Friday evening multiple train accident in … Read More “Death Toll Rises More Than 288 In Indian Train Multiple Collision” »
- We Shot Down 15 Russia Cruise Missiles, 21 Drones In Overnight Kyiv Attack – UkraineUkrainian Air Force has said that the military shot down 15 cruise missiles and 21 Drones, Russia fired into the … Read More “We Shot Down 15 Russia Cruise Missiles, 21 Drones In Overnight Kyiv Attack – Ukraine” »
- Scores Killed As 2 Trains Collide In IndiaMore than 50 persons have been killed and 500 others injured as two passenger trains collided on Friday in the … Read More “Scores Killed As 2 Trains Collide In India” »
- Unknown Sympathizers Launch Multiple Attacks In Russia, Kill 2Russian Ministry of Defence has confirmed the multiple attacks launched by unknown Sympathizers which led to the killing of two … Read More “Unknown Sympathizers Launch Multiple Attacks In Russia, Kill 2” »
- Tinubu Appoints Reps Speaker, Gbajabiamila As Chief Of StaffPresident Bola Ahmed Tinubu of Nigeria has appointed the Speaker, House of Representatives in the National Assembly, Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila … Read More “Tinubu Appoints Reps Speaker, Gbajabiamila As Chief Of Staff” »