Nigerian Communications Commission has raised alarm that people are currently using the name of Nigeria music star, David Adedeji Adeleke known as Davido to swindle unsuspecting members of the public.
NCC in a statement yesterday issued by its Director of Public Affairs, Ikechukwu Adinde said it discovered while undertaking online social listening that a syndicated group is on the prowl to swindle unsuspecting members of the public, particularly millions of Nigerian telecom consumers, by capitalising on the generosity of Davido.
“The Nigerian music star, songwriter and producer recently announced he would donate 250 million naira to various orphanage homes across Nigeria.
“An ostensibly syndicated group is on the prowl to swindle unsuspecting members of the public, particularly millions of Nigerian telecom consumers, by capitalising on the generosity of David Adedeji Adeleke, widely known as Davido.
“Exploiting Davido’s benevolence, a group of scammers rolled out an advertorial titled “Davido Airtime and Data Giveaway”, which went viral, claiming that Davido is “giving out free 5K Airtime and 10GB Internet data of All Networks” to celebrate his birthday.
“In the advertorial, the general public is urged to hurry and get the gift by clicking on the links that supposedly redirect them to network sites, where they will be credited with airtime and data. This is a scam”, NCC said.
NCC therefore called telecom consumers to have nothing to do with the advert or any similar bogus enticements, adding, the adverts are social engineering rip-offs designed to get people’s MSISDN and other information that fraudsters can use later to defraud unsuspecting telecom consumers and members of the public.
“For clarity, the MSISDN is simply the full phone number of a cellphone, in addition to other protocol information. This number is unique and identifies subscribers/owners in a GSM or other mobile networks. Therefore, it suffices to state that any unscrupulous person or unethical hacker can use the number and attendant protocol to undermine the privacy of the real owners of the number through identity theft and other scams.
“The NCC, therefore, reiterates its earlier warning to telecom consumers to be cautious and not to let their guards down.
“If a promo or an offer seems too good to be true, then it is likely untrue”, NCC said.
The Commission said it will not rest on its oars in empowering telecom consumers with the requisite information and education in order to protect them from cybercriminals determined to use the telecom platforms to perpetrate frauds.
- COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil FuelLarge numbers of people at COP28 in Dubai on Saturday, protested and chanted for an end to fossil fuels and … Read More “COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil Fuel” »
- We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC BossBy Press Unit Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, has vowed to tackle … Read More “We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC Boss” »
- Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our TimesIsraeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has maintained strong stance that the elimination of the Palestinian fighters, Hamas is a must … Read More “Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our Times” »
- I Never Said 7 Out Of 10 Nigerian Students Are ‘Criminals’ – EFCC BossBy Dele Oyewale Attention of the Economic and Financial Crimes, EFCC, has been drawn to some needless misrepresentation of the … Read More “I Never Said 7 Out Of 10 Nigerian Students Are ‘Criminals’ – EFCC Boss” »
- NDLEA, Gunmen In Gun Battle In EdoBy Femi Babafemi Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have repelled rain of bullets from armed hoodlums … Read More “NDLEA, Gunmen In Gun Battle In Edo” »