A young man, Moses Adamu has been shot dead on Friday allegedly by men of the Nigeria Police Force soon after he arrived Benin, the Edo State Capital from Lagos to attend his sister wedding ceremony slated to be held on Saturday.
It was gathered that the man who drove from Lagos to Benin was with his friends inside the car when men of the Nigeria Police Force from Anti-Kidnapping Unit opened fire after failed attempt to stop the vehicle, the shooting caused severe injury to Moses Adamu who later died in the hospital.
According to statement signed by Amechi Nwaozor, the Coordinator of Benin Branch of Police Duty Solicitors Scheme of Nigeria Bar Association and made available by the Head of Talakawa’s Parliament, Kola Edokpayi, the group said Mose Adamu was extrajudicially killed by the police without provocation.
The Group said the late Moses Adamu was with his friends in a vehicle driving from his tailor’s shop to pick his dress in preparation for his sister’s wedding when a vehicle with a tinted glass overtook them while a man with a pistol not dressed in police uniform alighted from the vehicle, and the late Moses Adamu and his friends not sure of their identity tried to escape thinking they were kidnappers, but in the process, the police opened fire on them unprovoked.
Edo State Command of the Nigeria Police Force is yet to react.
The Group added that the police shot at the back tire of the vehicle up to five times, shot at the passenger’s front door which bullets hit Moses Adamu on his right thigh, speaking further, that Moses Adamu’s friends made efforts to take him to Edo Specialist Hospital, Benin City where he was received at the emergency unit but had lost alot of blood and he was pronounced dead.
“The incident occurred at about 4: 08 pm when the late Moses Adamu who just drove into Benin from Lagos to attend his sister’s wedding.
“The said sister whose wedding was slated for Saturday, September, 18th 2021 is a law books vendor at the High Court, Benin City.
“The deceased before his death was with his friends in a vehicle driving from his tailor’s shop to pick his dress in preparation for his sister’s wedding when a vehicle with a tinted glass overtook them while a man with a pistol (not dressed in police uniform) alighted from the vehicle.
“The late Moses and his friends not sure of their identity tried to escape thinking they were kidnappers.
“In the process, the occupants of the tinted glass vehicle opened fire on them unprovoked. They shot at the back tire of the vehicle (up to five times) and shot at the passenger’s front door which bullets hit Mr. Moses Adamu on his right thigh.
“Mr. Moses Adamu’s friends made efforts to take him to Edo Specialist Hospital, Benin City where he was received at the emergency ward at about 4:55 pm for treatment but at that time he had lost so much blood.
“Some of his friends volunteered to donate some pints of blood to help out but unfortunately at about 8:44 pm, Mr. Moses became unconscious after a while he gave up the ghost.
“The Chairman of the Lion Bar, Mr. Pius Oiwoh was contacted by the family of the deceased and he resourcefully assisted them by making the necessary calls to the high ranking officers and other security stakeholders.
“The Chairman went further to send members of the Police Duty Solicitors Scheme (PDSS) to monitor the situation and as well, take up the case.
“As members of the Police Duty Solicitors Scheme (PDSS) we swung into action before the deceased passed on and discovered that the said Police officers from Anti – kidnapping Unit of State who shot the deceased did not make a report to their superior officers that they shot at Mr. Moses Adamu.
“Upon their visit to the station, Mr. Moses Adamu’s friends identified the men that carried out the operation and reported the matter to their superiors who then visited the hospital to see for themselves shortly before the deceased passed on.
“The said Senior officers however later made money available for the medical bills at about midnight.
‘While we also made the necessary arrangements to deposit the body of the deceased at the mortuary at Stella Obasanjo Hospital, Benin City at about 1:45 am (18th September 2021
“The PDSS, therefore, urges the Police High Command, the Edo State Government, the National Human Rights Commission, and the National Assembly to ensure the proper investigation and prosecution of this matter which exposes the ill-treatments our people suffer in the hands of our security personnel.
“The soul of the deceased cries for justice”, the group said in the statemennt.
Also, the leadership of Freedom Ambassadors Organization led by Curtis Ogbebor who visited the family of late Moses Adamu yesterday said the group will ensure justice prevail in the matter.
Kola Edokpayi, the head of Talakawa’s Parliament said Moses Adamu is the only son of his parent, that justice must prevail, adding, he has been buying law books from the deceased sister whose marriage was slated to be held last Saturday.
- Unknown Gunmen Must Pay For Killing Soldiers – SoludoAdvertisements 14 views By Christian Aburime Anambra State Governor, Professor Chukwuma Charles Soludo, CFR has strongly condemned the killing of soldiers who were ambushed on a routine patrol at Umunze by yet to be identified gun men in Orumba South Local Government Area of Anambra State. “We condemn this wicked and cruel attack in the… Continue
- Obaseki Declares 24 Hours Total Indoor Curfew In Edo Over TerrorismAdvertisements 24 views By Press Unit Edo State Government has declared a 24-hour curfew in the Obazagbon to Ogheghe axis of the Irhirhi-Arogba-Obazagbon-Ogheghe road in Oredo and Ikpoba-Okha local government areas for 24 hours, starting from 12.00a.m Thursday, September 29, 2022 to 12a.m Friday, September 30, 2022. In a statement signed by the Secretary to… Continue
- [Video] Deadly Unknown Gunmen Invade Imo, Anambra, Kill Soldiers In Umuze, MgbidiAdvertisements 33 views Unspecified numbers of soldiers have been killed on Wednesday morning in Imo and Anambra states. As at the time of filling in this report, deadly Unknown Gunmen are still on rampage, moving from one location to another. The Unknown Gunmen, looking so deadly, took the war to men of the Nigerian Army… Continue
- NDLEA Sets Ablaze Some N194.7b Worth CocaineAdvertisements 11 views By Femi Babafemi Tougher time awaits drug barons and cartels operating in Nigeria if they fail to back out of their criminal trade and embrace legitimate ventures. Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Brigadier General Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retired) gave the assurance on Tuesday, 27th September, 2022 while… Continue
- Troops Rescue Kidnapped Victims In KadunaAdvertisements 12 views By Samuel Aruwan Troops of Operation Forest Sanity have rescued seven kidnapped persons during a fighting patrol spanning Birnin Gwari and Chikun Local Government Areas. According to an operational feedback, the troops came under fire from bandits while on patrol along the Birnin Gwari-Gayam-Kuriga-Manini axis. Unknown Gunmen Must Pay For Killing Soldiers… Continue
[spreaker type=player resource=”show_id=4980924″ width=”720px” height=”600px” theme=”light” playlist=”show” playlist-continuous=”true” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]