President Muhammadu Buhari has mourned the death of Africa multi talented music pacesetter, Sir Victor Efosa Uwaifo who died yesterday in Benin, the Edo State capital.
Nigeria Television Authority, NTA reporter who visited Sir Victor Uwaifo residence at the Aero Plane House along the Ekehuan road in Benin City yesterday gathered that the uncommon music icon has some complications at home yesterday, was rushed to Stella Obasanjo hospital where he gave up the ghost.
President Muhammadu Buhari in a statement signed by Femi Adesina, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity condoled with family, friends and associates of the legendary musician and multi-talented artiste, Sir Victor Uwaifo, who the president said leave a legacy of successes in many areas of life, including academia and administration.
President Muhammadu Buhari words are presented thus:
The President joins the Nigerian music industry and performing artistes, home and abroad, in mourning the former first Honourable Commissioner for Arts, Culture and Tourism (Edo State), who was also the first musician and instrumentalist to be given National Honours Merit, Member of the Order of the Niger (M.O.N) in 1983.
President Buhari believes the renowned musician, with global appeal and recognitions, lived for many firsts, which include invitation to the State House by four presidents and Heads of State, and winner of a gold disc in Africa for his song, “Joromi’’, released in 1965 at the age of 24.
The President notes the glory that Sir Uwaifo brought to Nigeria through his international tours, and the active role he played in national development, returning to school to get a first degree at age 54 with first class honours, masters degree at 56, and a doctorate at 77.
President Buhari prays for the soul of the departed musician, writer, sculptor, musical instrument inventor and university lecturer, knowing the entire country, particularly the music industry, will sorely miss him.
It would be recalled 56 years ago, Sir Victor Uwaifo at the age of 24 won the Africa Gold disc award after been the first musician in the continent to sell over 100,000 music records in a week.
He changed the narrative and broke the barrier of impossibility in Africa music industry in 1965 when he released the song ‘Joromi’.
‘Joromi’ song after more than 5 decades still remain a loved and craving music to many.
Victor Uwaifo breaks the barrier in Africa music when many musicians as at then could hardly sell up to 2000 records.
Sir Victor Uwaifo is more unique in the music industry with the uncommon way he plays the guitar, he rotates the guitar almost 360 degree round his body while performing on stage and still plays the guitar perfectly well with melodious sound even at old age before death.
Victor Uwaifo was born on March 1, 1941 in Benin City.
He turned larger part of his residential building named aeroplane house to a musuem.
Sir Victor Uwaifo is one of the well educated musicians in Africa.
In 2016, Sir Victor Uwaifo who is a Professor and a Leturer at the University of Benin, UNIBEN announced that he was doing his second PhD in Biomimetics at the age of 75.
- Unknown Gunmen Open Fire On Fun Seekers In Anambra, 11 Dead, Others KidnappedUnknown Gunmen on Sunday night invaded Porsche hotel along new Oba-Nnewi road at Oba Community in Idemili North local government … Read More “Unknown Gunmen Open Fire On Fun Seekers In Anambra, 11 Dead, Others Kidnapped” »
- NDLEA Invades Wedding Ceremony, Arrests Groom, GuestsBy Femi Babafemi National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA officers; acting on intelligence, disrupted a pre-wedding ceremony drug abuse competition … Read More “NDLEA Invades Wedding Ceremony, Arrests Groom, Guests” »
- COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil FuelLarge numbers of people at COP28 in Dubai on Saturday, protested and chanted for an end to fossil fuels and … Read More “COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil Fuel” »
- We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC BossBy Press Unit Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, has vowed to tackle … Read More “We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC Boss” »
- Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our TimesIsraeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has maintained strong stance that the elimination of the Palestinian fighters, Hamas is a must … Read More “Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our Times” »