Barrister Natasha Hadiza Akpoti, one of the Governorship Candidates in the 2019 Kogi State guber election has called on the general public to press criminal charges against Dowen College, a school in Lagos state where a 12 years old Sylvester Oromoni died from internal injuries allegedly sustained by torture from fellow students for failing to join a cult.
Barrister Natasha Akpoti in a message on Friday also demanded criminal charges against the school owned and managed by Deeper Life Church over Don Davis, the 11 years old student of Deeper Life High School, Akwa Ibom who was alleged to have been sexually assaulted by seniors while the school Natasha Akpoti said tried to cover up.
“Glad the fighting spirit of his mother pushes on for justice”, Akpoti said.
Akpoti said for children to be safe in boarding schools across the country, there is need for the general public to press criminal charges against the Dowen College, Deeper Life High School and Premier Academy in Lugbe community in Abuja over the death of Keren Akpagher, the 14 years old student of the school who allegedly died of sepsis earlier this year.
“A used condom was found inside of her. Possibly raped severely by a staff (security or teacher). She died before she could build up courage to mention names. The school stonewalled the investigation”, Akpoti said.
Natasha Akpoti words read thus:
1. Don Davis, the 11 year old student of Deeper Life High School, Akwa Ibom who was sexually assaulted by seniors while the school tried covering up. Glad the fighting spirit of his mother pushes on for justice.
2. Keren Akpagher, the 14 year old student of Premier Academy, Lugbe Abuja who died of sepsis earlier this year. A used condom was found inside of her. Possibly raped severely by a staff (security or teacher). She died before she could build up courage to mention names. The school stonewalled the investigation.
3. Sylvester Oromoni, the 12 year old student of Dowen College, Lagos who died from internal injuries sustained by torture from students for failing to join a cult.
These three innocent souls are our children. We must all join voices and support the parents to call for :
1. Criminal charges to be pressed against the schools and those identified as collaborators.
2. Thorough investigation leaving no stone unturned no matter how highly placed the parents of the erring wards are.
3. The establishment of a body under the supervision of the Federal ministry of education to monitor, supervise and evaluate activities of all private schools (boarding and day ) in Nigeria.
4. The expansion of Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC Nigeria) activities to oversee activities of private schools especially boarding facilities.
FCCPC can (amongst others);
– pay an impromptu visit to boarding schools to inspect the quality of food served (I remember the watery beans at FGC Idoani) and (the GGUSS. Oboroke’s watery akamu with chip
- GOC Warns Soldiers Over Sales Of Arms, Ammunition
- Obaseki Declares Curfew To Demolish Houses In Benin, Hide Under Security Check
- 3 Policemen, 6 Others Burn To Death In Bullion Van Accident
- Unknown Gunmen Must Pay For Killing Soldiers – Soludo
- Obaseki Declares 24 Hours Total Indoor Curfew In Edo Over Terrorism