President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the people of Igbo origin are the ones in-charge of Nigeria economy.
President Muhammadu Buhari made the statement at the Town hall meeting with Southeast leaders today during his official one day visit to Imo State.
President Muhammadu Buhari statement is coming barely 48 hours after Federal High Court affirmed and rejected the stay of execution request filed before it by Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS in attempt to stop Rivers State government from the collection of Value Added Tax with the exclusion of Federal Government.
Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike in a continuous sensitation of the general public and members of the business community in Rivers state, said the current system of VAT collection in Nigeria is an act of injustice where by Federal Government rob peter to pay paul.
Governor Wike added that a situation where some state Governments (northern states like Kano) are destroying businesses that generate VAT income on religious reason don’t deserve to benefict from VAT revenue generated from other states that gave those businesses the opportunity to generate and make income for government.
Wike recalled that, in June 2021, Rivers State generated the sum of 15 billion naira as value added tax but Federal Government gave the state 4.7 billion naira out of it, adding, Lagos state generated 46.4 billion naira and was given 9.3 billion naira but Kano State generated 2.8 billion naira and the entire amount of 2.8 billion naira generated was given back to the state by Federal Government.
According to President Muhammadu Buhari at the town hall meeting in accordance with the news release signed by the President Spokesperson, Femi Adesina, “The fundamental thing about the Igbo people is that there is no town you will visit in Nigeria without seeing the Igbos being in-charge of either infrastructure or pharmaceutical industry.
‘‘Therefore, it is unthinkable for me that any Igbo man would consider himself not to be a part of Nigeria.
‘‘The evidence is there for everyone to see that Igbos are in charge of Nigeria’s economy.’’
While the President was in Imo state today, the residents and people of Igbo origin took advantage of the visit to close businesses and sit-at-home in continuation of protest and demand for the unconditional realease of the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu who is currently detained by Federal Government over alleged treasonable act.
For the past 5 weeks, the Igbos every Monday close their shops and other corporate organisations like Banks always refuse to open as streets are deserted with little or no vehicular movement.
The detained Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu had accused President Muhammadu Buhari of injustice and reckless killing of Igbo youths who peacefully protested for the actualization of the Republic of Biafra while alleged Fulani herdsmen killing people and likely building war camps in several places accross states in Nigeria are politically not handled by soldiers as expected.
Mazi Nnamdi Kanu thereafter, in some months ago announced the creation of Eastern Security Network with the members of the Network seen with AK-47 guns.
Mazi Nnamdi Kanu said the ESN was created in self defence and protection of the people of Eastern states of Nigeria against killer fulani herdsmen advancing from North.
But President Muhammadu Buhari today said “I WANT TO BE REMEMBERED AS A PRESIDENT WHO STABILISED NIGERIA.
“If there is no security, there is nothing anyone can do no matter how much you try or the initiative you have.
‘‘Security is number one priority and then the economy. When people feel secure they will mind their own business.
‘‘Nobody can accuse me of having companies or mansions anywhere in the country and I thank God that I try to keep myself as clean as possible, so that I cannot be taken hostage.
‘‘I will do my best to ensure that Nigerians that try hard, succeed in their efforts.
‘‘I firmly believe that when you get infrastructure right, Nigerians will mind their own businesses,’’
- President Kim Jong-un In ‘Tears’, Begs Women To Have More ChildrenNorth Korea President, Kim Jong-un has burst into tears before a crowd of Korean mothers, begging the women to have … Read More “President Kim Jong-un In ‘Tears’, Begs Women To Have More Children” »
- Iran Court Fines US Govt $49.7b Over General Qassem Soleimani AssassinationIranian court in Tehran has ordered United States of America to pay the sum of $49.7 billion for the killing … Read More “Iran Court Fines US Govt $49.7b Over General Qassem Soleimani Assassination” »
- 14 Passengers Killed, 32 Injured As Bus Crash In ThailandNo fewer than 14 people have been killed in Thailand on Tuesday when a bus crashed into a tree in … Read More “14 Passengers Killed, 32 Injured As Bus Crash In Thailand” »
- Nigeria Police Arrests 4 Policemen For Kidnapping In RiversMen of the Nigeria Police Force have arrested four police operatives for kidnapping and demanding ransom from a hotel worker … Read More “Nigeria Police Arrests 4 Policemen For Kidnapping In Rivers” »
- Zelenskyy To Address US Congress Over Ukraine War Funding DebateUkrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyy has been invited to address members of the US Senate on Tuesday amid a push by … Read More “Zelenskyy To Address US Congress Over Ukraine War Funding Debate” »