Nigerian Army has said its men at Upper Iweka area of Onitsha in Anambra state earlier today arrested and took into custody a well known Nollywood actor, Chiwetalu Agu for telling people to join the federal government proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.
Chiwetalu Agu was seen in a viral video been taken by soldiers in an undertaker style.
Some onlookers said he was arrested when he came down from his vehicle to buy bread across the road simply because he was putting on clothes bearing the logo and colours of the Biafra flag.
The army in a statement made available few minutes ago said Chiwetalu Agu was forcefully arrested after he resisted arrest.
The army said he was arrested for telling people to join the IPOB and he was never assualted or subjected to brutalization as the video recording of the event suggest.
Excerpts of the press release as signed and made available by Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, Director of Army Public Relations are presented thus:
TROOPS ARREST CHIWETALU AGU WHILE SOLICITING SUPPORT FOR PROSCRIBED IPOB
Troops of Nigerian Army(NA) have arrested one Chiwetalu Agu while inciting members of the public and soliciting for support for the proscribed Indegenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
Dressed in a very well known attire of the proscribed group, Chiwetalu Agu was picked up for questioning while inciting members of the public to join the proscribed group.
Though he attempted puting up some resistance when troops made effort to take him into custody, he was not assaulted or subjected to brutalization.
While the NA recognizes the inalienable rights of the citizenry to freedom of movement and expression as enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, it is apparently a violation for any individual or group to incite the public to cause mayhem or break down of law and order.
It is therefore pertinent to state that while exercising such freedoms, it must be done within the confines of the law, bearing in mind the imperative for peace, and national security.
For the avoidance of doubt and emphasis, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) remains proscribed.
Therefore, any individual or group seen to be projecting and advancing the cause or activities of the group is viewed as brazenly challenging the constitutionality of Federal Republic of Nigeria.
More worrisome, was the fact that considering the prevailing security situation of the region, coupled with the ongoing Exercise GOLDEN DAWN, his action could be a tacit endorsement and support for the proscribed group. We have all witnessed the activities of the group take a violent dimension in recent times.
Chinwetalu Agu has clearly demonstrated uncharitable disposition to negate peace and security in the region, hence, he is taken into custody for preliminary investigation.
It is important to once again place on record that the allegation that he was brutalized is false and should be disregarded accordingly.
While the NA would not allow IPOB and its sponsors to hold the region captive and allow the security situation to degenerate, it is instructive to restate that national interest supercedes any parochial consideration.
Individuals or groups who fan the embers of violence are warned to desist or face the consequences of their actions. The ongoing Exercises are on course and will rid the region of all forms of criminality.
The peace loving and law abiding people of the South East are enjoined to please go about their normal activities, as efforts are ongoing to bring perpetrators of violence to book.
They are equally urged to continue to support the security agencies to restore normalcy to the region in furtherance of peace.
- We Are Praying For Ekweremadu Family – Peter Obi9 views Labour Party Presidential candidate in the forthcoming 2023 general election, Peter Obi has said his family is praying to God Almighty to see the former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu and his family through over their current travail. MO Ike Ekweremadu, and his wife, Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu were arrested and arraigned, remanded to Continue
- Unknown Gunmen Stage Another Show Of Force In Ihiala, Kill 2 At Ozobulu6 views Unknown Gunmen suspected to be members of Biafra secessionist armed group on Thursday staged another show of force at Ihiala main town in the Ihiala local government area, after killing two persons at Ozobulu community in the Ekwusigo Local Government Area of Anambra State. Residents said the Unknown Gunmen with over five Hilux Continue
- Why Ekweremadu, Wife May Remain In Prison15 views Maltreatment of the suspected under age donor of human organs to the daughter of the Nigeria former Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu may be the root cause of the Enugu born politician and his wife, Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu journey to UK Prison. It was gathered that the donor which the court or the Continue
- Mercy Chinwo Sets For Marriage16 views Nigerian gospel music star, Mercy Chinwo has announced her engagement with the resident pastor at WaterBrook church, Blessed Uzochikwa. The gospel singer who became well known in the music industry since 2012, shared a video of her engagement ceremony with the pastor, she described as “I am blessed to be blessed with Blessed Continue
- Lessons I Learnt At Kigali Genocide Memorial This Afternoon – Buhari8 views By Femi Adesina After visiting the Kigali Genocide Memorial in Rwanda on Thursday, President Muhammadu Buhari made a passionate appeal to Nigerians to be tolerant of one another and embrace peace. The President toured the permanent exhibitions at the Memorial and laid a wreath at the mass graves where more than 250,000 victims Continue
[spreaker type=player resource=”show_id=4980924″ width=”720px” height=”600px” theme=”light” playlist=”show” playlist-continuous=”true” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]