Nigeria Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba has expressed anger over police signal or order asking female police officers whose husbands are civilians to leave the police barracks in Enugu state effect from January 31, 2022.
The Inspector General of Police in a statement signed by the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba and made available yesterday indicated that the IGP has set up investigative panel into the viral police signal or directive asking female police officers residing with their civilian spouses in the barrack to leave.
“The IGP, who is miffed with the said “directive”, described it as unlawful, discriminatory, obnoxious, reprehensive and totally out of tune with the concept of equality as enshrined in our Constitution.
“He noted that the “directive” is not in line with the Force Gender Policy which institutionalizes gender mainstreaming as a core value in the Nigeria Police Force.
“The IGP further noted that a Police Force that has produced several top-ranking, successful female officers, including Deputy Inspectors General of Police (DIGs), Assistant Inspectors General of Police (AIGs), State Command Commissioners of Police, Area Commanders, DPOs, eminent Spokespersons, an Olympic Gold Medallist, amongst others, will never walk such a retrogressive path”, the statement reads.
The Inspector General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba assured that no female Police Officer in Police Barracks across the country would be ejected for residing with civilian spouse.
“The IGP has ordered the Force Provost Marshal to carry out immediate investigations into the viral document and assures stern disciplinary action against any person(s) found wanting.
“He calls on members of the public, particularly, female Police Officers and their families, who might have become disturbed as a result of the unconscientious directive, to ignore same as the said illegal order is null and void and of no effect whatsoever”, the IGP said.
The IGP further assures that the Force remains committed to advancing the general well-being, rights and privileges of its personnel, irrespective of rank or gender.
- COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil FuelLarge numbers of people at COP28 in Dubai on Saturday, protested and chanted for an end to fossil fuels and … Read More “COP28 Protesters Demand Ceasefire In Gaza, End Of Fossil Fuel” »
- We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC BossBy Press Unit Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, has vowed to tackle … Read More “We’re Going To Give Sleepless Nights To Those Stealing Our Money – EFCC Boss” »
- Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our TimesIsraeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu has maintained strong stance that the elimination of the Palestinian fighters, Hamas is a must … Read More “Israeli PM To Hamas: We Are The Maccabees Of Our Times” »
- I Never Said 7 Out Of 10 Nigerian Students Are ‘Criminals’ – EFCC BossBy Dele Oyewale Attention of the Economic and Financial Crimes, EFCC, has been drawn to some needless misrepresentation of the … Read More “I Never Said 7 Out Of 10 Nigerian Students Are ‘Criminals’ – EFCC Boss” »
- NDLEA, Gunmen In Gun Battle In EdoBy Femi Babafemi Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have repelled rain of bullets from armed hoodlums … Read More “NDLEA, Gunmen In Gun Battle In Edo” »