Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike in continuation for the enlightenment of the business community over the recent Federal High Court victory for the state to collect value added tax with the exclusion of Federal Government has revealed how officials of Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS attempted to use office of the Attorney General of the Federation and the National Assembly to amend the constitution of Nigeria to frustrate states from being the rightful government to collect VAT.
Governor Wike stated this today while speaking with members of the business community in Rivers State.
According to Governor Wike, Rivers State in June 2021 generated the sum of 15 billion naira as value added tax but Federal Government gave the state 4.7 billion naira out of it, adding, Lagos state generated 46.4 billion naira and was given 9.3 billion naira but Kano State generated 2.8 billion naira and the entire amount of 2.8 billion naira generated was given back to the state by Federal Government.
Governor Wike described the system of Federal Government collecting and sharing revenue generated from value added tax for states as an act of injustice in Nigeria.
In June 15.1 billion naira was collected as taxes in Rivers State but 4.7 billion naira was given to Rivers State, 46.4 billion naira was collected from Lagos State and but Lagos was given N9.3 billion naira.
Kano generated 2.8 billion naira and got 2.8 billion naira.
Have you seen the injustice in this Country ? I would not be Governor forever, it’s not about me but about the system.
Let the right thing be done.
We filed the Value Added Tax (VAT) collection action against FIRS and the office of the Attorney General representing the Federal Government in 2020.
In July 2021 the Chairman of FIRS wrote to the National Assembly through the Office of the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives to ammend the Constitution and empowered the Federal Government to collect VAT. They knew what they were doing was unconstitutional so in July 2021 they wrote a letter for the constitution to be amended to Include VAT in the exclusive legislative list.
This was exactly what we were challenging in court so they tried to include it through the back door. Corruption is not only people collecting money, corruption is also doing things illegally.
- Unacceptable To ‘Insult’ Oba Of Benin – Nigerians Warns Charly Boy, OthersNigerians have called on Charles Oputa well known as Charly Boy and other social media users that it is an … Read More “Unacceptable To ‘Insult’ Oba Of Benin – Nigerians Warns Charly Boy, Others” »
- EFCC Alerts Public On ATM Card Swapping FraudBy Dele Oyewale The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has been inundated with barrage of complaints from well-meaning Nigerians … Read More “EFCC Alerts Public On ATM Card Swapping Fraud” »
- Cousin Seeks Help For Nollywood Actor Amaechi MuonagorA cousin of Nollywood actor, Amaechi Muonagor has appealed to the general public to help the artiste as the comic … Read More “Cousin Seeks Help For Nollywood Actor Amaechi Muonagor” »
- NDLEA Arrests Illicit Drugs Party Organisers In OsunBy Femi Babafemi Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA on Saturday 25th November raided a lounge in … Read More “NDLEA Arrests Illicit Drugs Party Organisers In Osun” »
- Sheila Denies Calling Israel DMW 2 Minutes ManSheila Courage David, the ex wife of Israel Afeare known as Israel DMW, Davido logistics manager, has denied a social … Read More “Sheila Denies Calling Israel DMW 2 Minutes Man” »