Buhari Sacks Agric Minister, Power Over Poor Performance
President Muhammadu Buhari has said he reshuffled the cabinet after allowing an independent body to examine the performance of various ministries.
According to the President, the sack and redeployment of Ministers is inline with the President tradition of subjecting projects and programs implementation to independent and critical self-review.
Buhari said the independent review has helped to identify weak areas to be strengthened in order to deliver good to Nigerians.
Excerpts of the Presidency statement are presented thus:
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved a reshuffle in the cabinet formed on August 21, 2019.
In a statement to cabinet members during the Federal Executive Council meeting on Wednesday 1st September, President Buhari announced that Mohammed Sabo Nanono, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, and Engineer Sale Mamman, Minister of Power were leaving the cabinet.
In the same vein, Doctor Mohammad Mahmood Abubakar, Minister of Environment, was redeployed to assume office as the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, while Engineer Abubakar D. Aliyu, Minister of State, Works and Housing will now be the Minister of Power.
The President said the changes were sequel to the “tradition of subjecting our projects and programs implementation to independent and critical self-review” through sector reporting during Cabinet meetings and at retreats.
He added that “these significant review steps have helped to identify and strengthen weak areas, close gaps, build cohesion and synergy in governance, manage the economy and improve the delivery of public good to Nigerians.”
The full text of the statement is reproduced below:
On Wednesday 21st August, 2019 the current Federal Executive Council was sworn-in after a rigorous retreat to bring returning and new members up to speed on the accomplishments, challenges and lessons drawn from my first term in Office and to emphasize the 9 priority areas of government for the second term.
- Two years and some months into the second term, the tradition of subjecting our projects and programs implementation to independent and critical self-review has taken firm roots through sector Reporting during Cabinet meetings and at Retreats.
- These significant review steps have helped to identify and strengthen weak areas, close gaps, build cohesion and synergy in governance, manage the economy and improve the delivery of public good to Nigerians.
- I must commend this cabinet for demonstrating unparalleled resilience that helped the government to navigate the disruption to global systems and governance occasioned by the emergence of COVID-19 shortly after inauguration. The weekly Federal Executive Council meetings was not spared because the traditional mode was altered.
- As we are all aware, change is the only factor that is constant in every human endeavour and as this administration approaches its critical phase in the second term, I have found it essential to reinvigorate this cabinet in a manner that will deepen its capacity to consolidate legacy achievements.
- Accordingly, a few cabinet changes, marking the beginning of a continuous process, have been approved. They are as follows:
Ministers Leaving the Cabinet:
I. Mohammed Sabo Nanono, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, and
II. Engineer Sale Mamman, Minister of Power.
I. Dr. Mohammad Mahmood Abubakar, Minister of Environment, to assume office as the Minister of Agriculture & Rural Development;
II. Engineer Abubakar D. Aliyu, Minister of State, Works and Housing assume office as the Minister of Power.
- In due course, substantive nominations will be made to fill the consequential vacancies in accordance with the requirements of the constitution.
- I have personally met with the departing members to thank them for their contributions to discussions in cabinet and the invaluable services rendered to the nation. Today, effectively marks their last participation in the Federal Executive Council deliberations and I wish them the best in all future endeavours.
- Finally, I wish to reiterate once more, that this process shall be continuous.
- I thank you all and May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
@views exclusive rights: Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, September 1, 2021.
- 7 Arrested As Agitators Attack Police Station In Lagos, Takeover FRCN Radio In Ibadan, Declares Yoruba NationHeavily armed group who identified themselves as Yoruba Nation Army on Sunday early morning simultaneously attacked a police station in … Read More “7 Arrested As Agitators Attack Police Station In Lagos, Takeover FRCN Radio In Ibadan, Declares Yoruba Nation” »
- Buhari Grants Waivers To Rich, Impoverishes The Poor – Shehu SaniLess than few hours to the end of President Muhammadu Buhari led government, Senator Shehu Sani, former Kaduna Central senatorial … Read More “Buhari Grants Waivers To Rich, Impoverishes The Poor – Shehu Sani” »
- Buhari ‘Lied’ Over Nigeria GDP, Economy, Security – Reno OmokriReno Omokri, former presidential spokesperson to Goodluck Ebele Jonathan on New Media, has described President Muhammadu Buhari valedictory nationwide broadcast … Read More “Buhari ‘Lied’ Over Nigeria GDP, Economy, Security – Reno Omokri” »
- Tinubu Inauguration: Supreme Court Ruling Not A Setback, Election Courts Will Stop Mandate Bandits – AtikuPresidential candidate of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and former Nigeria Vice President, Atiku Abubakar has described the Supreme Court ruling … Read More “Tinubu Inauguration: Supreme Court Ruling Not A Setback, Election Courts Will Stop Mandate Bandits – Atiku” »
- Planes Painted Green-White-Green Nigeria Colours, Ethiopian AirlinesNigeria government under the leadership of the outgoing President Muhammadu Buhari is yet to deny the allegations that the planes … Read More “Planes Painted Green-White-Green Nigeria Colours, Ethiopian Airlines” »
[spreaker type=player resource=”show_id=4980924″ width=”720px” height=”600px” theme=”light” playlist=”show” playlist-continuous=”true” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]