Woman Cries Out Over Army Cover Up Soldier Who Kill Hubby On Val Day In Edo
Mrs Irene Obumneme, a pregnant woman and the wife of Stephen Obumneme Nwosu who was allegedly shot dead on Valentine Day around Amufi junction along Benin – Agbor road in Benin City, the Edo State capital has cried out to well meaning individuals and civil society organisations to help her prevail on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Oluyede and the 4 Brigade of the Nigerian Army to bring the suspected murderer of her husband to justice, stating that, she has no knowledge if the soldier who allegedly committed the murder is actually being prosecuted, saying, till date, the family has no information about the identity of the alleged killer or any legal action taken by the military authority to make the killer soldier face full wrath of the law, adding that, the corpse of her husband has been in the mortuary since the incident occurred on February 14, 2026 because the family believed if the husband is buried, they may never get justice and the case maybe swept under the carpet, the bereaved pregnant woman made the appeal in a 21 minutes video made available to us fortnight ago after we had earlier reported that the family of Stephen Obumneme Nwosu has accused the Armed Forces of Nigeria, AFN led by General Olufemi Oluyede, the Nigeria Chief of Defence Staff of attempted acts to cover up a soldier who allegedly murdered a young man, Stephen Obumneme Nwosu on February 14, 2026, Valentine’s day, along Benin Agbor road around Amufi junction in Edo State, this, according to the family member who pleaded for her names not to be mentioned in the press, said her brother was shot dead by the soldier after the deceased refused to hand over his car key to the soldier as demanded, saying, her brother only went out with his friend, she identified as Godwin Koko to get chicken feed when they encountered the soldier at the failed portion of the road that is currently under construction, saying, the Nigerian Army has refused to disclose the names of the soldier who allegedly committed the act of murder or take appropriate lawful actions against the suspected murderer, and in a swift reaction, when our reporter contacted the Public Relations Officer of 4 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Captain Kennedy Anyanwu via phone call on Thursday evening, the military authority said it is not true that the soldier in question has not been identified, saying, the matter has been settled, and when our reporter demanded to know how the alleged murder case was settled with the family, the military authority refused to give details, also, when our reporter contacted the Edo State Command of the Nigeria Police Force Public Relations Officer, ASP Eno Ikoedem, the police authority said the matter is under investigation and there is no way such matter can be swept under the carpet.
According to the bereaved pregnant woman, eyewitnesses said after her husband was shot and was in the pool of his blood, the killer soldier wanted to abandon him but the people around prevailed on him, and that was when the soldier decided to take the victim to the hospital and the bereaved family was later told by an officer that her husband was pronounced dead at the hospital, but she and the family believed the officer is lying because, according to her, when the bereaved family visited the hospital the officer claimed their son was taken to, the Doctor at the hospital denied receiving such person as a patient.
The woman noted that on Tuesday February 17, 2026, officials from the 4 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, the Edo State Command of the Nigeria Police Force and the construction Company visited the bereaved family house and sympathised with the family and assured the family that due process would be followed to make sure the soldier who allegedly committed the crime is prosecuted, but ever since, the bereaved family had had several meetings with the Edo State Police Command and the Military authorities, and yet, no reasonable thing has been said to assure the family that the suspect is actually being prosecuted and the compensation they claimed to pay is being processed.
Continuing, the young widow said till date she does not know the name of the soldier who killed her husband or the military command he worked with, for her to always remember the man who killed her husband, begging the military authority to at least allow her access to such information.
The young widow said she wrote through her lawyer to the Edo State Commissioner of Police to take the matter to court, but ever since, still, the case has not been taken to court and she’s no longer trusting the way and manner the police is handling the issue, hence, her coming out publicly to beg and appeal for anyone to help her get justice. “All I am seeking for, is justice for my husband. The soldier identified, tried and prosecuted. So that it will be on record that my husband was murdered. And when the children grow up, they will know that their father was not involved in any criminal activity. We have a 2-year-old boy and the one we are expecting”, she said.
Discover more from OsazuwaAkonedo
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.












