Commercial banks and shops in the Ihiala main town of Anambra state hurriedly closed and ran out for safety at 12 noon today as unknown gunmen attacked team of Nigeria soldiers.
The team of soldiers with heavy military equipment, it was gathered had mounted partial road block forcing motorists to ply one way early hours of the day around St Martin’s Church, Odoata school and another group before Azia junction in Ihiala to secure the All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA campaign ceremony of the former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Professor Charles Soludo slated to hold at the school field.
The unknown gunmen as it was gathered, engaged the soldiers face to face with over two hours of gun battle along the Onitsha-Owerri road.
Anambra state Governor, Willie Obiano and the APGA gubernatorial candidate, Professor Charles Soludo were yet to arrive the venue when the attack started around 10 this morning.
Residents said the unknown gunmen shot two soldiers and fled the scene around 12 noon, abandoning their vehicles.
Passengers inside a car plying the road were also killed according to an eyewitness who said the driver of the commercial bus he was in, came face to face with the unknown gunmen but the driver managed to revise quickly and escape. Adding, passengers inside the car in their front were not lucky.
Residents said some of the unknown gunmen on motorcycles returned through the Ihiala-Orlu road they came in while some others snatched vehicles to escape.
Officials of Anambra state government said the unknown gunmen escaped taking advantage of Our Lady of Lourdes hospital. Adding, the combined team of soldiers and other security operatives could not do much to gun them down because of patients and other persons in the hospital.
As at the time of filling in this report, canopies and vehicle that conveyed chairs and other materials to Odoata school field, the venue of the expected APGA campaign were still visible and in preparation stage when the unknown gunmen attacked the team of soldiers.
It would be recalled the unknown gunmen overpowered two group of special anti terrorism team of the Nigeria Police Force last week Thursday at Ihembosi, close to Ihiala community.
- Crowd As EFCC Auctions Seized Vehicles11 views By Press Unit Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has commenced the auction of a total of 435 cars, which are subjects of final forfeiture orders in Lagos, in line with the EFCC (Establishment) Act 2004; Public Procurement Act 2007 and the Proceeds of Crimes (Recovery and Management) Act 2022 The exercise scheduled… Continue
- Why I Have Confidence In APC – Mercy Johnson11 views By Mercy Johnson Earlier today, I joined His Excellency, Babajide Sanwo-Olu @jidesanwoolu and the incredible women leaders that make up the APC ‘Women Presidential Campaign Team’ at the APC women Southwest Rally. As a woman, wife to an APC candidate @princeodiokojie and mother, I am confident in the APC plan for women which… Continue
- Residents In Fear Over Friday-Wednesday Sit-at-home Order As Unknown Gunmen Kill, Kidnap Vigilantes In Ihiala13 views It was a night of war and rain of bullets on Tuesday at Mbarapaka quarters in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State as Unknown Gunmen kill and kidnap numbers of Anambra Vigilantes Group, AVG. It was gathered that the Unknown Gunmen around 10 pm invaded the building housing the offices of the… Continue
- Ignore Friday 9th-Wednesday 14th Sit-at-home Order – IPOB10 views By Emma Powerful Global family and movement of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) under the command and leadership of our great prophet and indefatigable liberator Mazi Nnamdi Okwuchukwu KANU wish to state unequivocally to the people of Biafra, friends of Biafra, and lovers of Biafra freedom that IPOB leadership did not issue… Continue
- Gombe Elders Meet Buhari Over Kolmani Oil Discovery14 views By Femi Adesina A delegation of political, religious and business leaders from Gombe State was at State House, Abuja, Tuesday to appreciate President Muhammadu Buhari for his role in the discovery of oil in commercial quantity in the Kolmani area. The President jocularly told them: “Thank you for coming to say thank you… Continue
[spreaker type=player resource=”show_id=4980924″ width=”720px” height=”600px” theme=”light” playlist=”show” playlist-continuous=”true” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]