Ihiala Attack: Unknown Gunmen Killed Only One Police Officer, We Killed 3 – Nigerian Army
Nigerian Army has said its men killed three unknown gunmen in a gun battle that lasted for hours on Thursday when unknown gunmen attacked 2 group of special, patrolling and heavily armed anti-terrorism police team who occationally stationed at Ihembosi community after Sea Horse company and before Okija river in the Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra state.
The Nigerian Army in a statement signed by Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, Director, Army Public Relations and made available to the public about an hour ago said troops of Sector 5 of Exercise Golden Dawn killed three of the unknown gunmen who the army said attacked the special police formation with one Hilux vehicle and one Hummer bus.
OsazuwaAkonedo reports the special team of policemen do occassionally stayed on the road numbering between 50 to 70 with most of them having 3 magazines of bullets binded together and locked to their guns.
Some of the police men do take time to interract with commercial bus drivers on the road and do get money from them and thus do cause heavy long queue of vehicular hold up sometimes stretching up to Sea Horse company and a distance close to Okija river.
Eyewitnesses said the unknown gunmen killed 5 persons on the spot, took police guns and took away two dead bodies.
Adding, some of the police men who ran for safety were shoot at but the bullets did not penetrate them while many ran with bullet wounds.
The onlookers said most of them; passengers, commercial and private drivers were stuck in the long queue of vehicular hold up during the attack.
Nigeria Police Force is yet to issue statement on the attack
The Army said one police officer paid the supreme price in the line of duty.
Execerpts of the Nigerian Army statement are presented thus:
TROOPS’ NEUTRALISE THREE UNKNOWN GUNMEN IN A SHOOTOUT
Troops of Sector 5 of Exercise GOLDEN DAWN deployed in Anambra have neutralised three unknown gunmen who attacked a Nigerian Police checkpoint along Okija-Onitsha expressway on 7 October 2021.
The gallant troops engaged and overwhelmed the gunmen with superior firepower, forcing them to flee the scene. Troops however gave them a hot pursuit, and engaged the gunmen in a gun duel.
The 3 gunmen, who drove in 2 Vehicles ( a Hilux and Hummer bus), eventually succumbed to troops’ effective firepower, while others fled with gunshot wounds.
Troops also recovered one vehicle and 2 motorcycles, while conducting further exploitation of the general area for the fleeing terrorists.
Unfortunately, a policeman paid the supreme price, in the line of duty, for his country.
The Chief of Army Staff commends the troops for the feat and urges them to sustain the momentum against all criminal elements operating in the region. The COAS also sympathises with the family of the fallen hero and prays for the repose of his soul.
- Subsidy Removal: Gov Obaseki Reduces Working Days From 5 To 3 In EdoEdo State Government under the leadership of Governor Godwin Obaseki has reduced till further notice days workers both in the … Read More “Subsidy Removal: Gov Obaseki Reduces Working Days From 5 To 3 In Edo” »
- Subsidy Removal: Why We Suspend Strike, Mass Protest – NLCNigeria Labour Congress, NLC has said it considered among others the social political mood in Nigeria arising from the last … Read More “Subsidy Removal: Why We Suspend Strike, Mass Protest – NLC” »
- Sympathizers Capture Russia Soldiers In BelgorodSympathizers who identified themselves as Russia citizens against President Vladimir Putin war in Ukraine have released videos showing captured Russia … Read More “Sympathizers Capture Russia Soldiers In Belgorod” »
- 100 NDLEA Operatives Storm Edo Forest, Destroy 3003kg Skunk, Arrest 2 In BornoBy Femi Babafemi Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have stormed Iwe forest in Iwe community, Owan … Read More “100 NDLEA Operatives Storm Edo Forest, Destroy 3003kg Skunk, Arrest 2 In Borno” »
- Sonko: 19 Killed As Protesters Clash With Police In SenegalTensions remained high in Senegal as civilians continued to protest over the imprisonment of the country main opposition leader, Ousmane … Read More “Sonko: 19 Killed As Protesters Clash With Police In Senegal” »