Nigeria Defence Headquarters has said the intention of the nation Intelligence Defence Agency to invite retired Navy commodore Kunle Olawunmi is not to arrest him but merely to seek knowledge from him as part of the Armed Forces of Nigeria effort to garner more strategies to fight terrorists and other criminal elements in the country.
It would be recalled Retired Commodore Kunle Olawunmi on Channels television Sunrise Daily programme on Wednesday while reacting to Boko Haram attack on Nigerian Defence Academy at Afaka, Kaduna state said the government of President Muhammadu Buhari has developed cold feet in fighting Boko haram because those who were investigated to be sponsors of the terrorist programme are today in Aso Rock as officials of the Presidency, some have become governors and senators.
Retired Commodore Kunle said for years he worked in the military to gather security intelligence on the Boko Haram insurgency, he spoke differently in one of the presentaion of intelligence report meetings with security chiefs, adding he said the main issue of Boko Haram is not the fighters, not the reported dead leader, Abubakar Shekau but the sponsors of the programme whom arrested suspects mentioned their names but could not be arrested, prosecuted because of government attitude.
Kunle said Nigeria military always throw open the gate of their barracks, Defence Headquarters, other formations every Friday for muslims to worship in the military mosque in a manner he described not ideal for security reasons.
Adding that Boko Haram terrorists always take advantage of the opportunity to study, observe and profile the network of security in the military barracks, formations and Defence Headquarters to stage successful attack against soldiers.
Excerpts of the Defence Headquarters statement signed by Major General Benjamin Olufemi Sawyerr, Director of Defence Information and made available yesterday and the video of retired Navy Commodore Kunle Olawunmi revealing intelligence information on Boko Haram on the basis of public interest are presented below and thus double tap the photograph within the text to watch the video.
The attention of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has been drawn to an online news publication by Sahara Reporters alleging that the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) ordered the arrest of retired Cdre Kunle Olawunmi for recently appearing on Channels Television programme (Sunrise Daily).
The Armed Forces may not want to join issues with Sahara Reporters for the scandalous and malicious publication insinuating that it’s Agency has ordered the arrest of Cdre Olawunmi (rtd) for sharing his views on matters of defence and national security.
It is gratifying to state that the retired military officer who is on the military reserve list was only invited via SMS and voice by DIA to further furnish the AFN with relevant and pressing security information which he may be opportuned to have knowledge of as a Professor of Global Security Studies.
The said proposed meeting between DIA and the retired senior Navy officer was intended to get credible tips on boosting the fight against terrorism/insurgency, banditry and sundry crimes. He was not asked to come along with his international passport. This in no way constitute any form of arrest speculated by Sahara Reporters.
It is very sad that an online media like Sahara Reporters would capitalize on a proposed meeting between an agency and it’s stakeholder to paint the story in a manner intended to portray the military as draconic government agency acting in a crude manner.
The general public should please note that the AFN is a professional entity that will continue to be responsive to all credible information that will promote peace and unity of our dear country.
As you will recall, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor has just completed his tour of the 6 Geo-Political Zones where he interacted with retired military officers with a view to rallying them to lend their support to the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
In this regard, I wish to use this medium to encourage the retired senior officer to come forward to give valuable information to the military authorities as a patriotic citizen who has served meritoriously in various capacities in the Nigerian Navy before retirement.
- House Help Sentenced To Death For Killing 89-Year-Old Madam, DaughterLagos State High Court sitting in Ikeja Area has sentenced to death by hanging, a domestic staff, Joseph Ogbu, for … Read More “House Help Sentenced To Death For Killing 89-Year-Old Madam, Daughter” »
- Life Not That Bad In Nigeria – Reno OmokriBy Reno Omokri People died from a mass shooting in America 2 days ago. You don’t see Americans saying ‘America … Read More “Life Not That Bad In Nigeria – Reno Omokri” »
- Crude Oil Discovery In Nasarawa State Will Lead Nigeria To Greater Prosperity – BuhariBy Femi Adesina President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday declared that the discovery and drilling of oil in Nasarawa State will … Read More “Crude Oil Discovery In Nasarawa State Will Lead Nigeria To Greater Prosperity – Buhari” »
- Ramadan: Kano Bans ‘Keke’, Illegal Horse Riding, FireworksBy Abdullahi Kiyawa Kano State Police Command under the leadership of CP Mamman Dauda, congratulates the Muslim Umma for witnessing … Read More “Ramadan: Kano Bans ‘Keke’, Illegal Horse Riding, Fireworks” »
- Nnamdi Kanu: We Rescued Kamsi From Kidnappers – PoliceBy Daniel Ndukwe Police Operatives serving in Nsukka Area Command of Enugu State Police Command, acting on credible information and … Read More “Nnamdi Kanu: We Rescued Kamsi From Kidnappers – Police” »
[spreaker type=player resource=”show_id=4980924″ width=”720px” height=”600px” theme=”light” playlist=”show” playlist-continuous=”true” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]